Through an open window in the main office at Camp Wise we can hear the faint rumbling of a lawn mower. The sound competes with the voices of work-crews speaking, the buzz of a truck idling, and of course the occasional song of a bird or buzz of a fly. All this “noise” is music to our ears! We have officially moved our offices to Camp Wise for the summer!
It’s clear that camp is just around the corner, and as it nears we want to provide useful tips that will help both parents and campers have an incredible experience at Camp Wise.
Before you say goodbye…
Pack a bag…or two!
- Make sure everything in the duffle-bag is clearly labeled.
- Have your child help pack the luggage so that they know where everything is.
- Please keep valuable items at home.
- Make sure to include paper, pencils and stamped addressed envelopes for letter writing days.
Medication drop-off made easy.
Cleveland families are required to drop off medications during a “Med Drop-Off” prior to the beginning of their child’s session. Non-Cleveland families should give medications to the staff member in charge of the city’s bus drop-off on the first day of camp.
Session I Med Drop-Off:
Days: Tuesday, June 9; Wednesday, June 10; or Thursday, June 11 Time: 4:00-7:00 pm Location: Subway at the JCC.
Session II Med Drop-Off:
Days: Tuesday, July 7; Wednesday, July 8; or Thursday, July 9 Time: 4:00-7:00 pm Location: Subway at the JCC.
Don’t forget to drop-off your kids…
- Please check you Parent/Camper Handbook for the bus departure time and location in your city.
- CLEVELAND’S DROP OFF LOCATION HAS CHANGED to the B’nai Jeshuran/Gross Schechter parking lot.Cleveland families can drop off luggage as early as 11:15 am. and may leave the area to say goodbyes. PLEASE return to board the buses at 12:15 pm, as buses leave promptly at 1.
- In all other cities please arrive 30 minutes prior to bus departure time.
While your kids are away…
Stay in touch!
- Even though we live in a time where email seems dated compared to text, GroupMe, Instagram, and the rest, kids still LOVE receiving a good ‘ol fashioned letter, in a good ‘ol fashioned envelope, with a good ‘ol fashioned stamp when they are at camp. Send letters as often as possible. Kids do not cherish a printed email the same way they cherish a letter.
- Emails make a great supplement to regular letters. When you send one through your CampInTouch account–they are printed once a day at 10:30 am and delivered after lunch with the US mail. Neither letters nor email are delivered on Saturday in observance of Shabbat.
- If you have a question about how your child is doing, or just want to check in we encourage you to call the office or write us an email. The staff that work with your kids are out in camp making sure your kids are having a great time! Village Supervisors check messages on a regular basis, so please allow 24 hours for a return call from a supervisor who will be able to give you up-to-date information.
Once they come home…
Engage with them about camp!
- Your child just experienced something very special! Ask questions about photos you saw online! Ask them about specific activities. Mention the word “Maccabiah” and then enjoy listening to wonderful stories from your camper!
- Encourage them to share stories with friends who may be thinking about camp–it is a great way to spread the word about our wonderful programs.
- Keep up-to-date on all camp events and off season programs (reunions, overnights, visits to schools, homes, and synagogues at CampWise.org)
- Look out for next year’s enrollment information in the mail.
A little housekeeping…
- Lost and found is brought to the Mandel JCC 3-4 days after the end of each session and kept in the camp office. You are welcome to browse for missing belongings (towels, socks, underwear excluded).
- We will mail labeled lost and found items to non-Cleveland families.
- Non-claimed items are donated in late August.
We’re so excited to begin the 2015 Camp Wise season, and glad that you’ll be there with us. As always please be in touch with any questions, comments, or concerns.