Who We Are
Our Mission Statement
Camp Wise provides a friendly, supportive, and cooperative atmosphere that fosters individual growth at each camper’s own pace. Campers are encouraged to learn new skills and master old ones, to make decisions, to take responsibility, to be expressive, to live with others, and to have fun. Complemented by our Jewish environment, campers develop a deeper understanding of and appreciation for Jewish heritage and traditions while also developing a true sense of community. Camp Wise is committed to making sure that every camper leaves with a greater sense of self-esteem and self-confidence; and with memories that will last for a lifetime.
A Brief History of Camp Wise
Since its first summer of operation in 1907, Camp Wise has grown from a basic fresh-air camp into a modern, organized residential camping facility. Initially a program for underprivileged immigrant families, over the years Camp Wise has developed to be a leader of the field of Jewish camping, and has secured a special place in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of children and teens. Created by a dedicated and passionate group of leaders and volunteers with foresight and vision, the camp’s initial funding began with a generous gift from Samuel D. Wise – and Camp Wise was born.
Camp Wise was originally situated near Euclid, Ohio, at Stein-on-the-Lake, Interurban Stop 133. In 1924 when the camp was moved to Painesville, Ohio, newspapers printed stories about the camp that “promises to be the model camp of the entire country.” With a growing number of campers and a need for better facilities, Camp Wise was relocated again in 1966 to its present site in Burton, Ohio. Halle Park, the name of the site encompassing both Camp Wise and the JCC’s Anisfield Day Camp was a gift made possible through the generosity of Eugene and Blanche Halle. While the physical location of Camp Wise has moved three times, the spirit and magic of Camp Wise remains the same.
For a more detailed history of Camp Wise, contact our office to obtain a copy of “The Camp Wise Story, 1907-1988” by Albert M. Brown.
|Summer • 13164
taylor wells road • chardon, ohio 44024 • (440)
635-5444 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall, Winter, Spring • 26001 south woodland road • beachwood, ohio 44122 • (216) 593-6250
© Copyright 2007 Camp Wise